General history and highway meta
2b2t’s nether highways are known as a safe and fast method to travel since one block in the Nether equals eight blocks in the Overworld. The highways are made out of obsidian to avoid griefing. The highways consist of flat blocks to walk on and two guardrails, one at each side. All highways start at spawn (0,0) and are dug until the Overworld world border. The straight and diagonal highways are paved until at least 1m nether.
It is common to see many players on the highways, both maintenance personnel as well as travelers to or from spawn. Highways near Spawn are usually always destroyed or obliterated due to the chaotic nature of 2b2t's various spawns. Multiple spawnfags fly idle, waiting for unsuspecting newfags to come into rendering on the highways to massacre them.
Digging, building and maintaining highways is done by several groups. Most notably are:
- Highway Workers Union (HWU) since September 10, 2020.
- Motorway Extension Gurus (MEG) since October 15, 2019.
- -X Diggers – disbanded
- Independent Interstate Society (IIS) – disbanded, merged with Highway Workers Union (HWU)
- Nether Highway Group or The Diggers – disbanded
- Spawn Infrastructure Group (SIG) – a Vortex Coalition subdivision, disbanded
Axis:The main axis are as following -X(West) +X(East) -Z(North) +Z(South) they hold the dimensions 6×4. The diagonals -X,-Z/ -X,+Z/+X,-Z/+X+Z are 7x4.
- March 26, 2017: The +X axis highway has always been at the forefront of highway development due to it being the most traveled highway. It was the first highway to reach 1,000,000 in the Overworld when it was dug primarily by omaliymix in 2012, as detailed in THEJudgeHolden's comics. The highway was the site of Byrnsy's mission to reach the Overworld world border (see his album), which his group the Nether Highway Group achieved.
- March/April 2020: The IIS paved the highway up to 125k in the Nether.
- August/September 2020, MEG widened the tunnel to 3×3 up to the Overworld world border.
- November/December 2020, the HWU extended the obsidian-paved highway to 1 million out in the Nether.
- april 2021, MEG extended the +X 6x4 to 3.75M (Overworld world border)
- June/July 2021, the obsidian highway reached the Overworld world border.
- June 2021 the Nether world border (30,000,000 blocks out) has been reached with a 1x2 tunnel.
- -X was completed 23rd of Dec 2017 (1x2 format)
- February 2020, MEG finished the highway to 3.75M (Overworld border) the project took 2 months to complete.
- The +Z Highway was the second highway to reach the Overworld world border following the +X Highway.
- The -Z Highway was the last to reach the world border.
The highway is fairly well maintained with a obsidian floor from 50-100 of 0,0 in the nether to -129,580. After that, the highway is primarily made out of netherrack with many potholes, and varies in width from 5 to 1 blocks. The -Z nether highway reaches -3,750,000 which connected to the world border in the overworld.
On August 7th 2017 gRiNdLoRd successfully flew under the nether floor from spawn out to -3.75 million. He was able to get back above the bedrock, build a nether portal and reach the -Z world border before the -Z highway was completed. Two days later there was a plug-in installed on the server to prevent players from flying under the nether floor. He still has an account there and continues to play around there.
The -Z nether highway is heavily maintained by IIS (Independent Interstate Society) and also to a lesser degree by SIG (Spawn Infrastructure Group) which maintains a high standard for the nether highway until 0, -128,000. The highway consists of 4 wide obsidian blocks with 1 wide guardrails on each side and 3 blocks high just below the bedrock roof. The IIS repairs most griefs on the highway, which make the -Z nether highway ideal for elytra travel.
MEG reached the -X, -Z world border on the 26th of May 2020.
This was the server's and group's first completed diagonal highway, which was dug from spawn to the -X, -Z world border. This dig was completed by Citadel2222, illville502, VeryVon, DantezWrath, KevinKC2014, and harritaco.
- -10M, -10M reached on 8th of January 2020.
- -20M, -20M reached on 12th of April 2020.
- -30M, -30M reached on 26th of May 2020.
- -10M, -10M reached on 9th of July 2020.
- -20M, -20M reached on 13th of August 2020.
- -30M, -30M reached on 4th of September 2020.
- 10M, -10M reached on 24th of July 2020.
- 20M, -20M reached on 2nd of September 2020.
- 30M, -30M reached on 14th of October 2020.
The fourth and final highway was finally completed in 2021. The completion of this highway marks all diagonal highways finished to the world border at MEG's 3x3 minimum tunnel size. This dig was completed by Roy4lRondi, tycrek, Citadel2222, Juderenee, jumboman32,Parzi, and Duke_Arktouros.
- -10M, 10M reached on 5th of August 2020.
- -20M, 20M reached on 31st of December 2020.
- -30M, 30M reached on 13th of February 2021.
Rings Roads (RR)
Ring roads encircle 0,0 in a square shape, hence their name. Dozens of these roads exist at various intervals. They are used for traveling out from the main axis or diagonal highways to more remote areas. They are also commonly used to avoid 0,0 by going around it. For most of their existence these were just bare Netherrack tunnels, sometimes 1x2 sized. In their obsidian form, the larger ring roads around 5K, 10K, 15K, 25K were originally constructed by the Independent Interstate Society (IIS), and are now expand by the Motorway Extension Gurus (MEG) and maintained by the Highway Workers Union (HWU). Meg added more ring roads further out such as 125K,250k,500k,750,1million,3.75million (worldborder ringroad) connecting all axis world border monuments and world corners to one another.
spawn region nether (100K overworld / 12.5K netherworld)
- 1000 (1krr):One ring road that is well-known today is the ring road which was built 1000 blocks away from 0,0 and was toured by BarrenDome in a YouTube video.
Greater Spawn (You escaped spawn!)
- 50K ring road: dug by IIS
- 75k ring road
- 125K ring road
- 250K ring road dug 3x3 by MEG ( 17 January 2021) and later on widened to 6x4 format by MEG (25 July 2021).
- 500K ring road dug 6x4 by MEG (29 July 2021).
- 750K ring road dug 6x4 by MEG (29 September 2021).
- 1M ring road dug 6x4 by MEG (23 November 2021).
- 3.75M ring road dug 6x4 by MEG (28 July 2021)
The -4444 Highway starts at the coordinates 0x -4444z and goes in the eastern direction. It extends for more than 2 Million blocks in the overworld and several bases were built on its overworld side. It was probably constructed before the Rusher War. This highway is famous among the old players.
Konata Izumi Road
On May 2021, the Nether World Border was reached using this highway. The road coordinates are: Z: 28500 (28.5k) and Y: 5 Nether.
The length of the road is 30 millions blocks, it starts at the southern canal (0, 5, 28.5k) and ends at the Nether world border (30M, 5, 28.5k).
The road was created only by Hare_Hare_Yukai using 2 alts. This project took around half a year to complete and the digging was done in 77 days. A special method of repairing pickaxes was developed during the construction of this road.
Together with the +X Axis Nether Highway, it is the longest road on 2b2t.
Point Less highway
The Highway dug by the X+ Diggers starting at the X+ World Border (Point Nemo) and goes for 30,000,000 Overworld blocks to the X+ Z+ World Corner (Point Less) become known as the first highway to connect an axis world border base to the world corner. This Highway also has many monuments and milestones. It is currently a part of the 3750000 ring road.
Since 2019, many withers have been placed from 0 to 50k. However, all of the potholes from the withers have been restored by the IIS and the withers remain on the floor of the nether. As of June 2020 the highway is in great condition and the withers place no real threat towards any traveler. You got your spawn groups who are active, hunting every one at 0,0. You got an occasional player who will block a highway or destroy it, but this is fast rebuild by HWU.
Nether Highways on Youtube
FitMC: 2b2t's War Against Nether Highways, March 25, 2020
SalC1: I Went to 2b2t's World Border, January 30th, 2021