A chunkban, is an exploit where player(s) are kicked consistently from the server due to an error involving glitched chunks. This is commonly linked to collision corruptions or chunks containing excess data.
Note: All methods listed are patched on 2b2t as of 20th April 2020
- FPS Lag - Uses very simple machines, which exploit Minecraft's lighting mechanic. It is Patched when the NoRender module is turned on.
- Sign - This method consisted of filling a chunk with 2MB of sign text, this is by far the most efficient chunkban method, therefore patched on most servers
- 7-Layer - Consisting of the illegal cyto player heads, these could be placed in large quantities in a chunk. Taking around 2,000 to ban a chunk
- Banner - Using data rich banners, a chunk can be filled up and banned with around 20-30 Layers
- Furnace - This brute force method somehow got under the threshold of actually fitting into a chunk, it requires 44,000 furnaces and cannot fit into (2b2t's) nether
- E-chest - a slight improvement on furnaces, but a pain to build with. Ender Chests are only useful when duped on mass and are harder to grief.
- Enchanting Table - Very rarely used due to the frame rate issues when building, does not offer much significance over furnaces and E-chests
Claims of chunkban usage go back far since it has been a bug since the beginning of the game, so feel free to add your experiences here.
Early 2018 - Widespread usage of FPS Lag Machines at Spawn to kick players who used a Vanilla Client. Armorsmith's Followers, Emperium, and members of Block Game Mecca, among others, spam many of them at significant locations and especially griefed areas around spawn.
Early 2019 - Sign chunkbans were used around nether 0 0, along with the slogan "spawn's closed". This was patched by Spigot shortly after.
Nov 2019 - The Book Club used banner and 7-layer chunkbans throughout nether spawn to wreak havoc on queue times and new players. Use was discontinued after Hausemaster patched illegals and NoServerNovember was over.
April 2020 - The Bakery used furnace and e-chest chunkbans at key locations in the overworld to reduce queue. These had almost the same level of effectiveness as the much more compact patched designs.
- 7th - 12th, Chunkbanning the comet at Ziggy town with a furnace chunkban.
- 17th - 20th, Chunkbanning 0, 0 with e-chests causing an amount of spawnfags and yesterfags to get banned.
April 20th 2020 - Hausemaster patches chunkbans though a rework of chunk loading.
October 2020 - rockeZZergon creates a machine utilizing enchanting tables that, once turned on, cannot be approached to turn it off. Several accounts are priobanned in efforts to take a schematic of the device.